Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

First Sewing Circle Project of 2012

Making chemo caps for the Rockefeller Cancer Institute at UAMS was one of our most popular projects last year. The pattern we used was very simple and the girls had a lot of fun making embellishments for the caps, too (see photo below). The Cancer Institute tells me that our hats went very quickly, and they were excited that we are planning on making them again this year. Since we weren't able to get together in October to make them, I thought I would kick off 2012 with this project.

I know I told you that we would try to make the projects at home for a while, since attendance at sewing circle has been sparse for the last several months. However, I realized that if I don't intentionally (That's my word for the year!) set aside time to do the projects, I personally won't get them done. So, with that in mind, I will be at the church on Sunday, February 12th, from 2:00 - 4:00 pm to work on this project. You are welcome to make some at home and bring them to me or you can come join me to work on them.

FOR THOSE WORKING FROM HOME

You can use any pattern you like, but we used these patterns last time for the Easy Chemo Cap (which really lived up to its name!) and the Turban Cap (a little more difficult). If I have some time, I'll try to make some kits for those of you working from home. (If someone else has some time to devote to making kits, email me and let me know and I'll try to get some fabric to you. I'd love to have some help with that!)

SUGGESTED FABRICS

The hats need to be lightweight, so the suggested fabrics are stretchy cotton knits so they stretch to fit. The chemo caps can be unisex, so keep that in mind when choosing patterns. The male patients tend to be left out a lot when hats are made. If you find any great deals on fabric, be sure to pass it along to the group!

Thank you all, again, for your participation in the sewing circle. Whether you are coming to the meetings or doing the projects from home, you are blessing someone with the talents God has given you. Thank you for serving!

No comments: